Protecting rights, improving lives.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid provides free civil legal services to people with low incomes in central Minnesota through offices in Minneapolis, St. Cloud and Willmar. Our experienced staff assist clients with a variety of legal issues. Services range from educating clients about their rights, to advocating on their behalf and representing clients in court.
Legal Aid poverty law services improved lives for 8,937 families and individuals in 2012. Affordable and safe housing, and preventing homelessness represented more than 1 in 4 cases handled.
Helping clients get the assistance they need
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid lawyers help clients with civil cases and questions to ensure each Minnesotan has access to basic rights like housing, safety, economic stability and education. Lawyers will answer questions, give advice, go to court or work out agreements on behalf of clients. The services we provide depend on each person’s unique need.
We support clients in these areas:
- Housing: evictions, discrimination, foreclosure, accommodations for disabled Minnesotans and Section 8 housing
- Economic stability: changes or denial of benefits such as health care, unemployment, social security and food stamps
- Family law: divorce assistance, child support and custody issues
- Consumer: debt consolidation, mortgage and loan issues and utilities assistance
- Senior: housing and housing assistance, Social Security and public benefits, Medicare assistance and help with living wills, and establishing power of attorney.
- Youth: child protection, abuse and neglect issues, school challenges and assistance with independent living
- Tax: federal and state tax needs and non-citizen tax issues
- Immigration: Employment authorization, citizenship, deferred action for childhood arrivals, and assistance to victims of violence
Who We Serve
Anyone living in our service area who has a low income or is at least 60 years of age.
Where We Serve
We offer services for people in 20 counties with offices located in Minneapolis, St. Cloud, and Willmar.
We do not offer legal help for criminal cases. If you are charged with a crime, you should ask for a public defender.
Partners In Action
Legal Aid Partnerships
Stearns County Domestic Court Project
The Stearns County Domestic Violence Partnership, a collaboration of the County Attorney, Legal Aid, Law Enforcement, and Anna Marie’s Shelter, has received both national and local recognition. The partnership recently received an AMC County Achievement Award from the Association of Minnesota Counties, and the partnership has been named by the national Association of Prosecuting Attorneys as one of ten innovations to be recognized at the 2013 Justice Innovations Conference.